A Message from Your Child
We need to talk. Sometimes, my flow of logic is a little fuzzy. Sometimes, I conceal things to avoid getting into trouble. Sometimes, it’s hard for me to see things from a perspective other than my own. However, I’ve given this a lot of thought, and here are some things I think you should know.
- 1. Love me unconditionally. I need to know that I’m loved even when I’m being a stinker.
- 2. Show me what you want me to do. For example, if you want me to speak nicely about others, then show me by speaking kindly of others yourself. After all, I’m choosing my behaviors based on the behaviors I see in others . . . and yours are the behaviors I see most.
- 3. Hold me accountable. I don’t like being punished, but I guess it’s better than not being punished, you know? If you never hold me accountable, then I’ll feel like you don’t care enough to teach me right from wrong.
- 4. I see a lot of things that I think are cool. I want to have them all. However, if I actually get them all, then I lose interest in them. The best way to keep me interested in my things . . . so that I don’t devalue things . . . is to tell me “no” sometimes. I may fuss about it, but it’s a good thing in the long run.
- 5. Teach me. I want to learn about a lot of stuff. Why is the sky blue? What does “canopy” mean? Why did he do that? Is it bad to do that? Can people be bad? Why can’t I wear my t-shirt to church? These and many more questions are just spilling out of me all the time. It may drive you crazy, but inquiring minds want to know. Encourage my desire for knowledge. If you don’t know the answer to one of my questions, help me research the answer. That can be a fun together-kind of activity. Meanwhile, with each answer, I’m forming my opinions, shaping my values, deciding what interests me (helping me decide what I’d like to be when I’m grown up), and developing a greater understanding of the world around me.
- 6. And love me unconditionally. Oh, wait . . . I already said that. Oh well, it’s important, so I guess it’s ok if I say it again.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to me. I love you.
For more useful tips; continue to visit Care4hire.com.